PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Red v Blue - Arrows or Angels
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2006, 22:25
brickhistory

Other than the Reds one time, I've only seen the T-Birds and Blues (edited to add) and the Snowbirds, so I'll refrain from adding my .02 cents on who is better, however, vaunted though the 'combat ready' time of each of the US squadrons is, it would have to be a really, really bad day (along the old Russians coming through Fulda Gap days) to switch the jets from demo to combat. Suspect that standard line is to appease the ACLU-type who might bitch about 'a waste of my tax money.'

Likewise, the stickboys (generic term now!) are exceptionally honed aerial demo pilots during their tours, not combat pilots. I don't know for a fact, but I rather heavily suspect that not many of their sorties are geared toward ACT, weapons employment, etc, since it's not their primary flying duty for the tour.

That said, a big to all who do it! And it is a great piece of recruiting for them to display, otherwise, the bean counters would have killed them off.

Plus, it's just damn cool to hear and see jets doing their thing, regardless of the insignia on the side/wings.

Last edited by brickhistory; 4th Sep 2006 at 00:09.