PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slots, Slots and more Slots...
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2001, 03:31
Alien Shores

IA, I always operate on the principle that there is just that tolerance built-in to a slot. Otherwise, our entire European ATC system would grind to a halt. After all, we are not operating +/-15 minute procedural spacing, but have the vast multitude of radar tools available to us here, or so we are told.

So you need us there, ready to go at that very moment in time, then? Not before and not after? I think slack needs to be applied here; try getting shell-suits/fuel/slot/ flight-plan all to combine in that merry-dance that is aviation; if no-one will give a tolerance, then everything grinds to a halt.

Now, I can understand grumbling at manipulation of the extremes, but I won't take the piss, if I don't realistically consider I can make that window then I let you know. But if I am seriously hassled, yet still can make it, then it really hurts and does no-one any good to have a slot vanish into the Wild Blue when we could still theoretically make it. That is probably why you get the vibes from the flight-crew... we ALWAYS try to get the paying public away on or close to time, and anything that appears to conspire against us is not welcomed. Hence the negative vibes, not clever, not professional, but I can empathise.

And yes, I DO know that we are playing for the same team, more so than our management are.

Alien

[This message has been edited by Alien Shores (edited 07 May 2001).]