PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DEFO/Conditions of Service 2007 Hot Oil
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2006, 04:43
BScaler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terms and Conditions

TeamAmerica,

...when you and I joined on B Scales we were happy with the T&C otherwise we wouldn't have taken the job.
Your comments regarding the CoS we joined on are pretty much how the Company would like you to see it, but I see things slightly differently.

Based on your argument, if there were a guy out there willing to do our job for nothing, (say to get a type rating and some experience before moving on), is that what you believe the market says our job is worth? Is that what we should be happy to have New Joiners sign up for? I would disagree.

You and I were not offered A Scales because they were not on the table. They were not on the table because the AOA GC at the time allowed the Company, without challenge, to offer B Scales to New Joiners such as you and I.

The Company would like us to repeat this happy set of circumstances for them by having us allow them to present a set of C Scales to New Joiners from January 2007, and I cannot agree to this.

As you know, some guys work for years to gain experience, apply for the job, gain interviews, and finally get accepted to airlines such as ours. I believe it is our responsibility to protect our CoS and not simply permit the Company to offer New Joiners degraded CoS for doing the same job and carrying out the same responsibilities as we do now.

The Company would like you to see this as a way forward for them to acheive 'profitable growth', but don't forget that CoS 07 would apply in a subsequent downturn as well. (I don't see a clause in this agreement that says that if the airline does not expand, they will revert to current CoS.)

...if this is all the Company is offering to the DEFOs I would think they won't be getting many applications...so hang out til the T&C's get better ot take a S/O job...
I just got an email from a guy who has gone through the long and involved interview and selection process, who would like to take an SO job, but due to his experience he is being told 'take the DEFO slot or nothing'! The Company does not appear to be giving New Joiners flexibility to pick and choose in this regard.

This agreement is not a good deal for New Joiners, the Company can achieve profitable expansion without it, and we should not give the Company permission to offer CoS 07 to New Joiners, particularly at this time of world-wide tightness in the pilot market.

You may be interested to check out the AOA Forum site. There is a post by an AOA GC member pointing out that the AOA are commited to robust defence of our present CoS, (Although I don't know how he can say that and at the same time ask us to ratify a lesser set of CoS for New Joiners!), and that in his opinion the Company cannot legally impose new CoS on New Joiners without agreement from the AOA.

I am glad you intend to vote against this agreement. I am working to have this agreement voted down comprehensively. In this way I believe the Company will negotiate with our AOA team in a more meaningful way to come up with something acceptable.