PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aero graduate
Thread: Aero graduate
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2006, 12:16
whiskeyflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This post is amazing me. Back of Flight Magazine (e.g. 15-21 Aug 06) always going on about lack of engineers yet it seems many unemployed gradutes about and with BAE trying to leave Airbus the future does look bleak for British aviation. I left working in Europe (UK & Ireland) due to low pay and I see on this tread the starting salaries have practically not moved since I left UK 10 years ago (so considering inflation, starting salaries have gone down in real terms). Also I get regular updates on job offers and to be honest I earn more outside the UK (permanent job, not a contract so tax and all is paid )before I take into account higher cost of living in the UK.
Originally Posted by planecrazy.eu
I
The problem, experience. So taking a year in industry in year three is the way to go, as least then you get a years experience, and then that could lead to that company sponsering or offering you a job, and most placement years are paid almost grad rates.
I thank Kingston Uni for my year out, the experience got me my first job (pay is not really an issue for your year experience, all I got was 100F a week working in Bordeaux, had just enough for beer and parties but the experience started my career and in addition an appreciation for food, wine etc so thanks France, so Kingston gave me a degree and a lifestyle )
At present I take on one student a year from the local uni (I remember the efforts I went through, so started this scheme two years ago and instead of getting a temp for basic office work, I get a aero eng student. So it was not a fancy proposal to the board etc and is not formal but its a start) and I am happy to say it gave one engineering student a kick start to a good career at a local airline.
If any other engineers looking, they should also give back to students (tell the accounts people it's cheap labour and at least you have a better chance of getting an eager person that some grumy temp, even if it only for scanning in documents or creating jobcards).