PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life in Monarch Air 2000 Airtours JMC
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2001, 13:43
Mr Benn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I can give you an idea of Air 2000. Generally its not as bad as people think. They still have this outdated view of the holiday airlines. In reality we doa mixture of scheduled and charter flights and in winter ad hocs as well, which adds to the interest.
For specifics I can give you an idea based on you joining as an FO on the short haul fleet.
1. In summer, between 60-90 hours a month. Usually around 70-80 hours. In winter about 15-30 hours a month unless you are off on contract somewhere.
2. Days worked - we normally get a minimum of 8 days off a month, average of 9 maybe 10. There is a contractual minimum of 104 days off per year (not including leave, etc.)
3. On average 3 to 4 nights per month in summer, one or two over the season in winter. It will vary depending on that year's program and also your base.
4. Standbys are 8 hours. The company will sometimes try and get you to do a flight after the end of your standby. We do have a scheduling agreement to cover such matters. Callout is a standard hour and a half. There are also rules about how far away you can live (based on mileage, but basically same as callout). Don't get called out that often though. I get called out maybe 5 times a year or less.
5. Again depends on base and fleet. Talking standard short haul, in summer, one month you might not be away at all, other times you might get 5-10 days away (usually stopping in UK). I probably average one nightstop a month of up to 3 days.
6. We have bases all over the UK, from Bristol to Manchester to Glasgow to London.

Pay isn't that bad. Compared to BA you'd probably do better over 10 years to be with Air 2000. Time to command is very good, starting salary around £38k plus allowances. Other benefits too.

If you go on the B757/767 fleet you do a mixture of long and short haul. In winter the 757s do VIP round-the-world trips too. There are also a few ad hoc contracts, based abroad, for anything from one month upwards.