PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dubai: "The City that Cares"
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2006, 23:34
Evita

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gang Rapes

Maybe as a female crew living in Dubai I could explain to you the situation we are in. When I got accepted I have been told about the tax free wage, free accomodation, the crime free place we will be living in, the amazing destinations we go to and the bonus we get if we finish our 3 year contract.
You can go on http://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com/ Living in Dubai and then Law and Order to view the information Cabin Crew get.
Finally we get to Dubai. In the first week we have a meeting with Welfare and we are told that:
  • It is illegal to live with a partner of the opposite sex unless you're married or related and if you are married you will lose the free accomodation and will be given a Living Out Allowance that will not cover the expenses.
  • It is illegal to kiss in or show affection in public. Also we were shown a newspaper cutting about a couple that got 6 months jail and then deported for kissing in public.
  • We have to constantly watch our drinks as it is very common to have your drinks spiked.
  • We were also told how the law in Dubai can turn against you, shall you get raped and decide to report it.
  • If you get pregnant and not married is considered as a crime.
Now bear in mind that I just left my life, my job, my family and friends. I have been in the Middle East for a week when I find out all this. Had I been told this before I wouldn't have taken up the offer, however since I spent all my money on Medicals, photos and two relocations since I wasn't living in my home country, leaving Dubai after a week was not an option.

Basically the british Cabin Crew that got gang raped was faced with the same situation. Funny how from everyone's comments no one considered that maybe this girl had been drugged, something that happens quite often.
So I gave up my social life since I don't intend to be paranoid all night, watch my drink, wonder if someone bribed the barman to spike my drink, get harrassed by way too many men ... even though i'm wearing jeans and T Shirt.

Yes Dubai is virtually crime free since not so many girls report rapes as they know how it all can turn against them. Also by law we are unable to give our freedom of speech on newspapers or media.

It would be grateful if EK would give the complete information about how life really is in Dubai before we sign the contract fully knowing the way of life we are used to and the extreme we are going to.

Also what I cannot understand is how does it make sense for these men to rape this girl to get 2 years in prison and then a guy gets 4 years imprisonment for possessing 1.25 grams of cocaine?

I do respect the fact that I live in a muslim country and I respect the fact that there is a large number of different cultures. I do appreciate that yes I have a nice free apartment to live in and have more benefits than other crew in other countries. But I would also have appreciated being told that I would be spending my time in Dubai in my lovely free apartment shall I decide not to risk getting into a terrible situation like the horrible event that happened to the british girl and other girls that are too scared to speak up.