PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Panic today
Thread: Panic today
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2006, 09:09
Lister Noble

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gcolyer,
Well done, I am also a very low hours pilot and reckon you handled the situation with calmness and positive thinking.
I have no personal experience of GPS in aircraft but have used it considerably in small boats.
In the early 90’s we fitted a GPS chart plotter using C-Map, linked to radar with alarm sectors etc, autopilot and wind sensed self steering, with all the relevant displays both in the wheelhouse and down below in the navigation area, all this was Raytheon equipment.
It relieved quite a lot of the work, was great in fog and was a bit like having another crew member on board.
Before this from the early 80’s we used Decca, it was all that was available then but was very useful at the time.
At all times I kept an up to date log and an hourly plot on the chart, half hourly if near any coast or shipping.
I would say that I became reliant on the GPS and radar information but kept my manual navigation stuff accurate and up to date when sailing anywhere.
The only time I had a problem was using the GPS off the East Coast without properly checking my plot; a friend on deck told me that we were really near a sandbank
I looked at the plot and realised I had missed a waypoint and set a course straight over the sandbank!
I expect to buy a small self powered portable GPS for aircraft in the near future, but will always keep an eye on the chart work and eyeball navigation.
Lister