PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet - 2
Thread: Easyjet - 2
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2006, 13:50
Charlie Roy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madrid

I found some more details on Easyjet's plans for Barajas in a Spanish article of which I have translated/summarized the important bits below. For full translation then Babelfish is a good internet translation tool.

http://www.expansion.com/edicion/exp...lo/682453.html

Summary:
  • Easyjet will base 3 aircraft at Madrid Barajas
  • They'll launch 11 routes, 8 international and 3 domestic
  • In the next 3 to 5 years they foresee basing between 7 and 10 airplanes and offering more than 30 national and international destinations (including North Africa)
  • They have requested slots to fly from Madrid to Tenerife, Lanzarote, Bilbao and Asturias as well as to several European cities
  • Madrid was chosen as a base over Barcelona, Alicante, Malaga, Palma de Mallorca and was even in competition with other European cities like Lyon!
The article also mentions Ryanair's plans: "Ryanair are considering opening routes to London, Rome, Brussels and various domestic routes."

Are Tenerife and Lanzarote considered to be domestic routes from Madrid? I would have thought so, but this contradicts the reference to 3 domestic routes
If Tenerife and Lanzarote are not to be considered domestic routes, then so far the domestic routes will be Asturias, Bilbao, and ...??? Okay, maybe the third one will be Granada then. I stand corrected from my previous assertion that Easyjet didn't have plans to fly to Granada

All will be revealed in September in any case