PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Marriage Breakdown and life in the Block
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2006, 06:54
Comp Charlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Marriage Breakdown and life in the Block

As yet another statistic in todays modern military I speak as someone whose marriage has ended.

After 10 years living out in both rented places and unfurnished FMQ's I have obviously accumulated a lot of stuff.

However, I am under the impression (and hopefully someone can tell me if I'm wrong) that now I have been forced back into SLA I can expect to receive zero help whatsover in terms of Service provided storage for my worldly goods, or even a few quid to hire a van to transport my stuff anywhere.

I cannot afford to even look in a property paper down here (West London) and get moved along when staring glass-eyed through estate agents windows so my hand has been forced on this issue.

The room I have been offered in the Barrack Block is, not to put to fine a point on it, disgraceful. The fact it is in the same block I lived in 15 years ago is also screwing with my mind a little.

I'm not prepared to become a welfare case and go crying to anyone, but if the military could offer free storage just until I get my life in order and back on my feet, I think it would go a long way to keeping my morale up, therefore making me more useful in my primary duties.

I know I am not the only person in this position and this isn't so much a whinge or a cry for sympathy (from you lot? Yeah right!!) but more a plea to the 'man' to look after those of us (and there ARE a lot) that have to give everything up.

I appreciate if I was in a 'normal' job it would be daft to expect my employer to assist, but I'm sure the military has an abundance of spare space in any number of storage depots that could be utilised by people like me.

Maybe there is...and I just don't know about it, and that info doesn't get offered by our HR staff...

The pisser for me personally is that I have been selected for promotion to SNCO but as yet have no date (New Year is all I've been told) and the Sgts Mess accomodation on my particular unit is a million percent better than the hovel I am going to move into!

Is there any system in place whereby although not physically wearing the rank yet, there would be a possibility of moving into the Mess 'early' or would I just be embarrassing myself and the PMC if I even suggested it?

Would appreciate any advice - don't bother with 'toughen up and deal with it' as I can assure you I am more than capable of that, and of the self help, and taking the hit in my wallet, I just feel that its perhaps an area of duty of care that could be looked at a little.

CC