PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I infringed today . . .
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2006, 03:55
Gipsy Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An interesting topic and Stik was brave to start it.

Pilot navigation has never been particularly easy and in my experience has become less so since they stopped painting the names on the roofs of railway stations. Hell, it's difficult enough just to find a railway these days.

I'm too old to have any operational knowledge of this GPS gizmo but using it sounds very much easier then trying to get some sense out of a couple of ADFs, getting X marks the spot on the chart draped over your twitching knee, marking off drift and performing other calculations with your Airtour computer whilst passing through a frontal system in something as unstable on instruments as a PA30. That type of workload a pilot can do without. We thought Nirvana had arrived with the introduction of VOR and DME.

But these things quite intentionally were called "Navaids" as they are precisely that. In no way are they substitutes for proper navigation or situational awareness. However, as QDM3 astutely observes, there is little point in fighting with one hand behind your back and if GPS assists in a reduction of workload, leaving the pilot to do a generally better (for better, read "safer") job, why pooh-pooh it?

Having just brought myself up to date on the "Epaulette" thread, I have this mental picture of the "four bar wonder" climbing into a Cherokee 140 with his bag stuffed full of oudated Jeps, bubble sextant and sight reduction tables. Much more macho than a little handheld GPS which he can't use anyway. There are some tiresomely silly people out there.