PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your routes into Flight Testing
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2006, 11:39
CaptainSandL

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
eP

I am not an FTP or FTE just a humble Continued Airworthiness Flight Test (now called Check Flight) pilot. It is hugely interesting and great fun and probably a more realistic goal if you are not likely to be going through ETPS or similar.

My route:
- Physics degree
- First airtest in 1985 as the observer on a UAS Bulldog – loved it!
- In GA for a long time, got CAA briefed (approval) for C of A renewal airtests on group A & B aircraft. Did about 50 on various types.
- Joined the airlines and got onto the team of F/O’s used for CAWFT on the 737.
- Got my command and it all went very quiet for several years whilst I accumulated experience on type.
- Dead mans shoes at my airline to take the next vacancy for CAWFT Captain. The numbers are restricted to ensure continuity. Most airlines only have a few.
- Got briefed (approved) and check flight with CAA TP & FTE. Learnt a helluvalot from them since I did not have any formal FT training.
- Have been doing a few each month for the last couple of years. Probably up to about 60 full profile and 40 partials (usually aileron/elevator power offs) on Classics & NGs.

If you want to do it, you can, and from any background. The problem is that there are very few places because there are so few check flights and inevitably those with a formal TP qualification will get the gig, all other things being equal.

Good luck

S&L