PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was it today??
Thread: Was it today??
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2006, 06:09
JapJok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is your nom de plume Jack Red or Jack the Red??

As a student of the 89 thing, and a winner according to you, but a loser according to me, I can tell you authoritively that there was a 30% pay rise awarded to pilots for a 30% increase in productivity, i.e., 40 hours a month (AFAP figure even though the companies disputed this and said it was 30/month) increased by 30% = 53.3, rounded up to 55 with overtime paid above that figure.

If you then flew 90 hours, it was an increase of 125% above the pre thing figure of 40, so would realistically attract an increase of 125% income. Why is there difficulty with that concept? My understanding is that the comanies weren't opposed to a pay rise but it had to fit "the accord", i.e., more money, more productivity, again a simple concept and one that they embraced.

"Salaries for Airline pilots who now work in the Industry have been increased beyond their wildest dreams. Except if you work for VB whose chief pilot sold his colleagues down the drain for a handsome holding in shares freeof charge but recently worth 20+ Million $$. VB pilots work for half that paid to QF pilots with no overtime provisions.

Those salaries "beyond their wildest dreams" are not as much as, for example, Cathay pays, but those enjoying those salaries don't feel they are being paid "beyond their wildest dreams".
I recently re-read an old diary written by my grandfather who fought at Gallipoli. In it he said that sticking by your mates was a fine ideal, but not realistic, especially when the Turks were shooting your mates, and if you didn't look after yourself first, then you would be shot also. A fine ideal indeed, but not always (or often)practical, especially if dud information had you headed for certain slaughter. Need I draw the obvious analogy??

The fact that 80% of Australia's airline pilots chose an alternative was never a problem for the managements and government. It was a bonus for the management; salaries cost them a fraction of what they had previously (2/3 the pilots doing 2.5 times the flying for an average of twice the previous salary). The government indicated that it was prepared to flex its muscle to reign in a 'rogue' union and read the riot act to other like minded unions. Hawke's standing improved enormously because he kept the accord intact against an attack by 'a privileged group of workers'.

As I said above, success oir failure is a matter for the individual to decide upon. We've all heard of winning the battle but losing the war.
There is something that is more highly admired in my home country than mateship and what it implies, and that is individualism and the ability to think for oneself when the $hite hits the fan. Do I follow my 'mates' to certain slaughter, or do I do what is required to survive? Easy decision.

Incidentally where is the "then president of the AFAP". Isn't he working for a sub standard salary at VB, one the chief pilot negotiated to improve his personal wealth by $$20 Million ++? Isn't he also the one who wouldn't take a backward step and insisted on almost 30% with no tradeoffs.....until it was obviously lost and then "just wanted to negotiate".

Amen also

Last edited by JapJok; 24th Aug 2006 at 07:24.