PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan to the Sky, The End? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2006, 23:11
Tim McLelland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't be too hard on Beagle - I suspect he'd be just as pleased as everyone else if 558 did finally get back into the air. It's just very easy to take the cynical view so that it's less of a disappointment when it all goes horribly wrong!

The way I see things, we're all rather frustrated at the way in which so much of the project goes-on behind closed doors and it is very tempting to throw all kinds of accusations at the Trust members, some of which might have foundation, some of which may not. But if, as seems likely, the Trust is wrapped-up next month, then maybe it will be just the right moment to step-back and take a fresh look at the project while there's still plenty of opportunity to complete the engineering programme. The pledged donations are a great encouragement, the continued fund-raising is good news, and the fact that the Lottery people haven't run-away just yet must be a good sign.

I don't think anyone is fooling themselves into thinking that the Vulcan's future is ever going to be secure and there's always going to be the possibility that the project will simply run out of cash once and for all. But until we reach that final situation I think it would be foolish not to keep on trying, so that if the project ultimately does become unsustainable, we can at least be assured that everyone tried to make it succeed. That's a pessimistic view - it may well be that 558's future turns-out to be rather more exciting than that!

One thing I do have to question though - and I quote:-

“We need companies to come in quickly with sponsorship funds,” explained Geoffrey Pool, chairman of the Vulcan to the Sky Club. “The aircraft could be painted in the livery of an airline or major commercial organisation; or parts of it, such as the tail fin or the bomb-bay doors, can carry corporate colours.”

First-off, I don't think that's strictly true, as I'm sure that the HLF would raise their eyebrows at a "Cold War educational exhibit" appearing in corporate colours! And on a wider theme, I would think that the last thing anyone would want to see is another "Red Bull" circus clown - only bigger! Heaven forbid - I think I'd rather leave XH558 on the tarmac if it came-down to that sort of undignified arrangement!