PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diesel, the fuel of the future!!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2006, 14:35
musicalaviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was reading something tonight actually about Cryogenic Hydrogen powered aircraft... seems the russians are already on it with the "Tupolev Tu-155" aircraft and "Tu-156" Liquid Natural Gas powered aircraft

more info from Tupolev themselves at

http://www.tupolev.ru/English/Show.asp?SectionID=82

Be sure to check out page 2
http://www.tupolev.ru/English/Show.a...onID=82&Page=2

Cargo-passenger TU-156 a/c was designed for optimization of airborne cryogenic fuel system during long-term operation and its certification and also for optimization of ground infra-structure. Cryogenic components of the aircraft will be installed on consequent serial Tupolev’s cryogenic aircraft.

The aircraft uses two fuels: aviation kerosene and liquefied natural gas which makes it possible to operate the aircraft from usual airfields and from airfields provided with LNG fueling systems.
TU-156 a/c is capable to carry 14 t of payload for distance 2600 km using LNG and for distance of 3300 km using LNG and kerosene. In rear portion of passenger cabin there is a ventilated compartment to receive a main cryogenic tank of 13 t capacity. Nose baggage compartment is provided with ventilated bay wherein trim cryogenic fuel tank is installed composed of two horizontal communicating vessels capable to receive 3.8 tones of LNG.

Substantially all technical publication and records have been issued for TU-156 a/c. NK-89 prototype engine and a number of other cryogenic components have been manufactured and are being tested

Design works have started to build on the basis of TU-334 a/c a short-range passenger TU-334K a/c powered by BR-710C engines. It will carry 102 passengers for the distance up to 2000 km at the altitude up to 10.6 km. The aircraft is fuelled with 7 t of LNG and 2 t of kerosene as fuel reserve. Main elements of cryogenic system can be taken from TU-156 a/c.

Looks like an exciting time to break the monopoly of Oil over transportation. Slightly humorous perhaps that it's the Russians which seem to be leading this research... I suppose "First Man in Space" wasn't their last -first- in aerospace... incidently I believe the Tu-155 actually first flew in 1989 with one of three engines powered by Hydrogen (other two by standard Jet A1 I assume)