PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Civvy RT
Thread: Civvy RT
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2006, 11:37
Ridgerunner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a civvy pilot and a UAS stude, so I view the R/T from both sides of the fence. I do find some civvy R/T to be utter rubbish. I can find myself getting quite hot under the collar as I am waiting to put in a transmission as a waypoint or something approaches, or if I have an important call to make and someone is sitting chatting away making a right faff. Military R/T seems far more succinct and sensible. At times I do find more information could be passed, but ultimately its far more efficient than listening to the drivel coming out on VHF at times.

I think you need to remember that civvy flying does not have the rigorous standards that military pilots have to aspire to, and there are somewhat "doddery" types out there who need the extra long transmissions to be sure. Personally, I don't think I would feel safe flying civvy GA with military style R/T, primarily because a lot of our airfields are A/G and we do not have a tower or radar controller to watch us all the time. I do understand how shocking it must be to entirely mil pilots coming across it as times- flying schools I can live with, but some qualified pilots out there are a lot worse, and they are the ones that get to me.