PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there any future for nordic aviation?
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2006, 11:36
Crossunder

Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wideroe is really crap at giving potential applicants any info about their operation. But here's what I can say about the company;
WF is one of VERY few companies where you're still required to use your piloting skills and airmanship. In terms of interesting flying, you operate a lot in un-controlled airspace, down in narrow valleys on short, slippery runways during the winter storms. A lot of "action", so to speak. Sure, you could move to Africa or Alaska to do some bush flying, but why the hell would you want to move there? And the T&Cs would suck big-time anyway
In the summertime, the flying in Northern Norway is an absolute delight (if you can handle the early check-in times... ) But you'll also have the opportunity to do some mindless, braindead "airline" flying; just bid your way to the TRF base and into the Q400 cokcpit. Easy-peasy and very relaxed.
The T&Cs are very good, even when compared to the larger airlines. You will not find another turboprop/regional airline with anything resembling WFs T&Cs!!! Excellent staff travel deal on Star Alliance and a myriad of other airlines, nice pension, solid insurance, and let's not forget the 7 on - 7 off roster ...or, if you prefer, you can also bid for another schedule which guarantees every week-end off (often accompanied by days off on thu/fri and/or mon/tue), whichever suits your needs. Now where else can you do that?
Granted, I'd like to fly the big jets just to try it a couple of years, but I'd never want to move abroad and spend my life in an endless jet lag, away from my family, just to fly a heavy aircraft...
New pilot course started last week, and another starting in September.