PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sen. John McCain - Major A$$hole
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2001, 02:34
Roadtrip

UAL pilots refusal to work VOLUNTARY overtime last summer was completely and utterly the fault of Mr. Goodwin. ALPA TOLD him a year prior that the schedule that he drew up could not supported except by extraordinary efforts by pilots. In addition, he knew the contract would be in contention at that time. Nevertheless, in an unbelievable act of stupidity, Mr. Goodwin bet-on-the-come and LOST.

Overtime is COMPLETELY at the discretion of the individual, as set forth in the CONTRACT. Pilots fullfilled their contractual requirements. I beg to differ with you Ben There -- just because I worked overtime VOLUNTARILY last month, doesn't obligate me to work it this month -MORALLY OR LEGALLY.

The travelling public doesn't give a damn about my family or my bank account. We provide a service FOR MONEY to the company, who provides service to the public FOR MONEY. Airline pilots do their part A LOT better than airline managements do. If you want to play the blame game, lay it at the feet of management. Bad labor relations are almost ALWAYS a result of inane and foolish management. The same goes for airline failures - bad management and fuel costs kill airlines, not pilot's salaries.

As far as Mr. McCain goes, his public inference that UAL pilots were unpatriotic because they would not work voluntary overtime was beyond the pale, a bald-faced LIE, and meant to engrandize his hot-headed ego in the eyes of an misinformed public. Mr. McCain is beneath contempt, regardless of his past hero status. There are many UAL pilots who served their country as honorably as he. I served my country for over 20 years. I took deep offense in his slander. McCain is unfit to lead anything.

[This message has been edited by Roadtrip (edited 12 May 2001).]