PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sen. John McCain - Major A$$hole
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2001, 00:33
BenThere

Angry

I have to support Lavdumper. Sen McCain rightly pointed out the disruption in people's lives caused by labor problems at airlines. I have to sympathize with people who can't make a family wedding or funeral, see their son play in the Rose Bowl, lose their vacation, etc. because airlines aren't operating as advertised due to pilot actions. I wish there were some way to get the public on our side when we have disputes. We can't do it with wildcat activism - it hurts our cause every time it happens. I believe the time and place for work action is after the cooling off period, when the public is forewarned and can make other arrangements, negotiations have been conducted and failed, and we exercise our legal strike authority. Sickouts, slowdowns, even company-wide refusals of overtime when overtime has become part of the expected pattern are, if one is honest, illegal in spirit and lower us in the public esteem. I'll be the first one to support a strike at my company or another ALPA company when it is done above-board and within the law. I, like the public don't like other job actions intended to disrupt the public or destroy the company.