PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swissair vs. Crossair
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2001, 02:32
Vision

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Decimal Brain,

I won't comment on what impression your statement of "being on the inside" brings to mind when referring to Crossair, but I can comment on a completely false statement you make.

Either things were different when YOU were at Crossair, or have changed since I have been at Crossair, but stating that Crossair sticks "to the letter of the law" when it comes to Flight Time Limitations is but a sign of your brash ignorance. The new CEO of Crossair, and his lieutenant have repeatedly forced many crews (99.9% of whom are just too scared to resist, for fear of being fired or suspended) to operate without the required rest, or in excess of the maximum duty or flight times. I know first hand. I have WRITTEN evidence. The FOCA (for those who don't know, the FOCA is the Swiss equivalent of the US Federal Aviation Administration) has WRITTEN evidence, on which they DID NOT ACT! Is it any wonder, since the FOCA has inspectors working for and being paid as Captains at Crossair? There IS no law to follow when it comes to Crossair, and Crossair exploits this to the fullest. Pilots who DON'T fly broken airplanes not covered by the MEL, who DON'T go below minima to land in Lugano, and who DON'T disregard "the law" (whether it be the Flight Time Limitations, Crossair Flight Operations Manuals, or the Aircraft Flight Manual), do NOT REMAIN at Crossair. They either leave on their own principle, or are asked to leave.

As regards flying experience and the ability to be able to handle the jobs of the former Swissair pilots, I have no doubt of the capability of the pilots of Crossair. Their training is EXCELLENT (having PERSONALLY compared it to many other operations, both regional and international), and their standardization is second to none. The only negatives that can be stated about Crossair as compared to Swissair are those which I have already stated above. The reason Swissair is bankrupt and Crossair is not, is that Swissair DIDN'T cut corners when it came to safety and the law.

That's all I have to say, B747 Captain (whoop-dee-doo). I'd like to see you in a simulator evaluation with ANY Crossair First Officer! I'm sure it would be "interesting."