PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana Airliner Takes off without Cabin Crew
Old 16th Aug 2006, 03:09
manincrz2937

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CRM in Asiana? Phew.....

The inside rumor told that it was a ferry flight to Daegu to pick passengers from Daegu. Even though the newspapaer said pilot called emergency communication with tower but it is not what it means. (The Korean Newspaper exaggerated its situation to sell their paper.) I guess pilot realized they left the cabin crew behind when they contact for T/O time and ETA report with company. Maybe ground staff told to pilot "crew on board" and "he will close the door"(It is not rare that ground crew close the door in ferry fight).

But anyway nobody can deny there is serious problem with CRM in Asiana. Especially between crews.

It looks like Asiana prefer this way. Because Asiana use cabin report against pilot. (Unfortunately pilots report against cabin crew’s wrong doing easily disappeared on process). Cabin crew ,in Asiana, usually think they are totally separate part and tend to deny pilot’s authority. Asiana makes them operate and check in separately to aircraft. Strangely but obvious , terrible even hostile, conflict exist. Most of cabin manager doesn’t report there duty to captain. They just seat there and wait until captain is looking for them.
A couple of years ago, one captain and cabin manager had serious conflict about who has authority over the duty crews. ( I know it is non-sense and you might never have seen this in any part of the world, but it was real in Aisna). Cabin manager insisted his superior officer is not captain but cabin supervisor in office and kept his arrogant attitude to Captain and order cabin crew not to add any kind of polite word to pilots. Captain couldn’t endure it anymore. He called all cabin crew and discussed about it when he land on destination. No matter how captain tried to persuade cabin manager, cabin manager never accept captain’s word. Finally captain gave up persuading purser and requested to change purser. I don’t know Asiana changed purser but this unbelievable event delay return flight more than 30 min and company put disciplinary board on it. The result? What do you think? What do you expecting?
Company put both of them in suspension from duty same amount of days (maybe a month?) without payment.

Is it fair? The order of A/C is not a matter, but the delay is problem.

I think Asiana’s one perfect goal is no matter what happen put the A/C depart on time. Rest of thing will be on pilot’s problem and pilot’s responsibility because A/C is out of gate. “It is ALL YOUR FAULT, CAPTAIN.”
I also have heard that one senior captain who expecting his retirement soon was threaten not to file purser’s wrong doing, who insist purser himself is a CRM instructor and crew inspector in Asiana. (I wonder what is crew inspector’s job over pilot. Is there any duty who can inspect pilot under the duty of CREW INSPECTOR as a member of cabin crew?). “You will retire in couple of months, why don’t you retire quietly without making any trouble with me?”