PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Licence Conversion to JAA
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2006, 14:00
turbinejunkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help please - ICAO ATPL to UK / JAA ATPL

Hi,

I am interested in finding out about converting my ICAO Australian & New Zealand ATPL's to the UK / JAA equivalent. I have had a look at the LASORs and tried getting an answer from UK CAA but no joy so far.

I have also observed on the Bristol Groundschool website the following with respect to converting an ICAO ATPL to a UK / JAA equivalent:

ATPL Conversions

If you are converting a non-JAA ATPL the number of ground and flight tests you need to complete depends on your experience.
(A) High Time Pilots

If you are very experienced you should you should apply to the CAA for a formal assessment using Form SRG 1103.

The qualifying criteria are
more than 3000 hours total time on aircraft of more than 30,000kg AUW
more than 1500 hours pilot in command on aircraft of more than 30,000kg AUW
type rated on an aircraft of more than 30,000kg AUW
more than 500 hours total time on the aircraft above
able to complete a flight test on the same aircraft

When you have completed the assessment form you need to send it or take it to the CAA with your original licences and log books. The CAA will tell you that you need to pass two written exams, Human Performance and Aviation Law, and pass a flight test on the aircraft you are rated on. The flight test is referred to as a skills test, it is part handling check and part IR renewal check.

(B) Experienced In Two Pilot Operations

If you don't meet the criteria above but have more than 1500 hours on two-pilot aircraft, are type rated already and have more than 500 hours on type
you need to pass all 14 ground exams but don't need to attend a formal groundschool course. You will need to pass a skills test on the aircraft you are rated on.
and

(C) None of the Above

If you fall into neither category above for whatever reason but still hold an ATPL you must complete an approved course of ground training and get your application form signed by your training provider before you sit the full set of ATPL exams. The length of the course can be reduced at the discretion of the Head of Training.

You need to complete two separate flight tests:

A Skills Test
An Instrument Rating

The skills test is a handling check flown on a complex aircraft, defined as an aircraft with retractable gear and a variable pitch prop. There is no formal training requirement before the test but you should anticipate 5 to 10 hours to get used to the profile and the aircraft.

If you hold an ATPL you must, by definition, also hold an ICAO IR. This needs to be converted to a JAA IR. The training requirement to convert is to complete at least 15 hours before the test, up to ten can be completed in a flight simulator.
The aircraft I fly is a Swearingen (Fairchild) Metroliner. It was originally certificated as a single-pilot aircraft by the FAA, however our company Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) require the aircraft to be flown as genuine 2 crew operations. All the flying I have undertaken on the aircraft can be verified by our company as 2 crew ops and also with the Australian Regulator (the Civil Aviation Safety Authority - CASA) as this being the case.

Assuming I had 1500 + hours on type in 2 crew ops, would this experience on this aircraft (with appropriate documentation from CASA and my employer) satisfy the requirement described above from their website to convert the licence by only sitting the 14 theory exams (obviating the need to complete an approved ground training course and an Instrument rating)?

Would I have to fly a Metroliner for the skills test to qualify under this category or could another aircraft I am endorsed on suffice (e.g. Beech Baron or similar for economic reasons - as per your paragraph below which states the skills test can be done in a "complex aircraft"?).

Could the skills test combine an instrument rating assessment as well as ATPL flight test?

Could the skills test be undertaken in an approved flight simulator?

Would having the 1500 hours on the Metroliner in the 2 crew operations our company runs, would that satisfy the UK CAA with respect to the Instrument Rating and Skills Test also?

Does the UK CAA require a pilot to have flown a manufacturer certificated 2 crew aircraft to qualify (e.g. Dash 8, Saab 340, B737, etc)?

Would I qualify for the Multi-crew Coordination Course approval now also?
What evidence is required?

Would a letter from my Chief Pilot validating my 2 crew experience totals accompanied with a excerpt from our company operations manual stating that the operations were conducted 2 crew as Standard Operating Procedures suffice to exempt me from the requirement to complete a MCC?

I would appreciate any help as I am planning on converting my licence to the UK / JAA ATPL soon

kind regards,
Turbinejunkie