PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA thwarting strengthened cockpit doors?
Old 31st Oct 2001, 05:51
Roadtrip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Tandemrotor-

I do not accept the defeatist manta that fighting back is useless. I intend to fight and armed pilots are essential to that fight.
To accept YOUR premise IS cowardice. Please make an announcement on your flights that you do not intend to fight back, so I can get off your airplane.

These terrorists are not cowards. They are well organized, well trained, and well financed, . . . and not afraid to die. Never underestimate your enemy.

Our own incompetent security policy managers in government and industry are culpable for sticking to "old-think" and not looking ahead. There might as well have been a $5 an hour immigrant running making security policy in addition to checking bags. I take that back . . he'd probably do a better job than the FAA's Jane Garvey and the airline security managers. The typical "tombstone" policy making at its best by the FAA and industry Air Transport Associate members.

Screening will not stop a dedicated terrorist. It is not the ONLY answer, as you purport. That thinking is stupid and dangerous. You'll probably only stop 20% of them, even if you conduct a month long investigation on each suspect.

As I said before, a layered approach gives the best chance of survival.

What I get from your post is that:

1. Screening can be 100% effective.
2. They can't be stopped if they get on your airplane.
3. Don't be afraid, because then they win - just stand there and let them slice your throat.
4. Self-defense of the aircraft is useless.
5. Don't respond militarily, because it's not 100% effective.

I've got a hard time believing any aircrew would follow you with such a defeatist and cowardly attitude. I know I wouldn't.