PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Superb B1900 Video in Africa!!!
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2006, 12:17
I.R.PIRATE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barrel Roll

The Barrel Roll is a not competition maneuver. The barrel roll is a combination between a loop and a roll. You complete one loop while completing one roll at the same time. The flight path during a barrel roll has the shape of a horizontal cork screw. Imagine a big barrel, with the airplanes wheels rolling along the inside of the barrel in a cork screw path. During a barrel roll, the pilot experiences always positive G's. The maximum is about 2.5 to 3 G, the minimum about 0.5 G.

There are several ways to fly a barrel roll, but during an aerobatic ride, we'll use the following procedure:

From level flight, I'll pull the nose up smoothly but quickly to 45 degrees above the horizon. As the nose reaches the 45-degree point, I start a smooth roll (usually to the left) while gradually increasing the pull to start a loop. I continue the maneuver by using aileron, elevator, and rudder inputs to maintain a constant, smooth change in both pitch and roll. As we reach the inverted position at the top of the "loop," the wings should be level and the nose should be on the horizon, with our heading 90 degrees off our original direction. The maneuver continues with the nose falling through the horizon as the airplane keeps rolling back toward wings level. The barrel roll ends, like a loop, with the airplane returning to level flight on its original altitude and heading.

You can look around during a barrel roll, which ideally is a smooth, graceful maneuver. Enjoy the view as the world goes upside down, but make sure you look straight ahead as we fly through the top (inverted) portion of the maneuver. It's always cool to see "the earth above and the sky below."

Aileron rolls are flown with the rudder and elevator in the neutral position during the roll. The aileron is fully deflected in the direction of the roll. This is the easiest of the rolls to fly.
The aileron roll is started by pulling the nose up to 20 - 30 degrees above the horizon. The elevator is then neutralized and the aileron fully deflected in the direction of the roll. The controls are maintained in that position till the roll is completed. After the roll is completed the nose is usually 20 - 30 degrees below the horizon.

The aileron roll is not a competition maneuver.

NOW WAKE UP AND KNOW YOUR GEN IF YOU WANT TO MAKE COMMENTS!!!