PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type Rating - B737
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2006, 14:58
-8AS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It never fails to amaze me the amount of people willing to pay tens of thousands of pounds in the hope that, at the completion of flight training, there chances of gaining emploment with a jet carrier is hugely improved by buying a type rating.

Remember, type ratings, especially for types such as Boeing and Airbus are hugely expensive and do not guarantee jobs. In fact far from it! If you have 250hrs and 100hrs experience on a 737 from a 'type rating provider' you will be very lucky to walk straight into a job at completion of the training. At that point you have 350 hours with a 737 type rating that will expire in 12 months.

Most airlines who employ what they call 'direct entry' or 'operation conversion' pilots require that you are current on type and have flown in the last 6 months on type. Also, their expectation of your performance during training is greatly heightened (in my company, a pilot with 2,000 hours off an ATR72 with no previous jet experience would be expected to complete line training on the 737NG at around 45 sectors. A 737NG rated pilot is expected to be ready for line check in 12!). Bearing in mind that most type ratings with 100hrs experience is provided by type rating providers like Astreus, the 100 hours you log are mainly in the cruise between the Middle East and UK!. Thus, very little in the way of handling. The company has no concern that if at the end of 100hrs you are not up to speed as they have filled their end of the bargain.

Thus, it is my humble opinion that a type rating tagged on to your licence at the end of your fATPL training is risky. I know that it has worked for some people and well done and good luck to them. However I think they are in the minority.

I agree with posts above recommending Flight Instructor Ratings. Such a move teaches you an aweful lot about yourself as a pilot and a lot about aviation. It also gets your logbook moving in the right direction, it keeps you current and some one pays you to fly. Quite a novelty after forking out hundred's of Pounds every time you go to aerodrome!

A flight instructor rating also means you can apply for jobs while actually working in the industry as a professional pilot. Means a lot to potential employers.

Just my two cents worth. It is at the end of the day still your life and your decision and I wish all well in whatever direction they move in their attempts to break into the aviaition industry!