PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - lap tops with new security rules
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2006, 18:44
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
MarcJF
... people realise just how much can be done by video conference etc. Getting these people back in the air may prove to be a struggle.
I don't think that it will be difficult in any way. Before I give my reasons; I have spent 27 years in telecommunications on the customer side. I have been providing facilties for overseas travel since before lap tops existed and when pager's were only just starting to be widely used in this country. Then I have been involved in buying audio and visual conference equipment across some 20 years.
  1. There is only just so much that you can do by A/V conf. If you have established a working relationship with the distant party - then you can move business along. But if you are starting to talk to people for the first time, then you have no choice but to meet face to face, irrespective of whether you are buying or selling.
  2. Humans rely on far more signals and feedbacks than can be accomplished in even full motion broadcast quality video - for v/c conf, it just does not cut it. It can be used to maintain a business relationship but not to intiate or develop it.
  3. People LOVE international business travel. They say that it is a drag but many folks only get to do it once or twice a year and they LOVE it. It is a badge of office and a change to their usual schedule. Not to mention that some see it as the best opportunity to be legally away from their spouse, so that they can behave in ways that would otherwise be impossible.
  4. Frequent Flyer Schemes.

Whatever happens in the short term - in the long term they wil be back. True, some of the local stuff might go to VLJs as Bumz suggests but the long haul is always here. Until ... there is the next worldwide depression and then it is but one of the countless problems.