PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi Crew Pilot Licence (MCL)
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2006, 14:02
ASIAN FROG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overseas Europeans

In SE Asia, the JAR licences are attractive and are reference of quality. But today, I see some american travellers visiting the schools and some investors (investors in general with a limited knowledge of professional aviation), in order to promote a "MPL" which is a source of profit. Sure, it is not directly affecting Europe, but indirectly yes, as the confusion is introduced about quality, modernism. More,numerous young Flight Intructors with a JAR licence are currently finding a job in the region.
On the Ground Studies side, as the local proposal of MPL is based on the FAA licence + the Ground training of the initial type rating, most of the theoretical knowledge is trashed compared to a syllabus style CAP 509 (UK-CAA International).( I do not compare with the JAR!!!)
On the flying side, I am a defender of simulator in the training up to a certain extent, I fight an excess. It is clear that experiences of real flights must be gained, particularly because we are human being and when we are in a simulator, our subconscient knows that the risks are nil which is not the case when the young cadet is flying in navigation in a Monsoon environment , with the fear to be lost and fuel to manage. ( Some other circumstances could have been choosen as example).
Real surpassing of the stress has to be implemented, in order the decision making is not influenced by personnality, real flying is really important. Yes, the simulator is a wonderful tool for Instrument training, yes some dangerous situations can be depicted without any risk, but this is the problem...the risk is nil and will the behavior of the young pilot be the same in an aggressive situation? Everybody knows "the quietness of the old soldiers compared to the new recruits tension".
In summary, an equilibrium is necessary between flying and simulation and you cannot limit your view to Europe only... a lot of Europeans are concerned by what happens overseas. It is important that the European standards are promoted worldwide, it is employment for a lot of people.
Thank You.