PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi Crew Pilot Licence (MCL)
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2006, 12:44
Adios

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ASIAN FROG
Flopsie,
So we will have to distinguish a JAR MPL, an ICAO MPL and a FAA MPL.
How, might I ask, is this any different than the current situation wherein it is easy to distinguish between JAA and FAA licenses.

The chief difference I see in the discussions to date, is that JAR MPL appears it will only be available in an Integrated variant, most likely with airline mentoring, tagging or sponsorship of some sort.

JAR ATPL via CPL/MEP/IR/MCC in both self-funded Modular and Integrated variants will most likely continue.

I can therefore see no reason to get up in arms about MPL. It is simply a new choice that will be available. If it turns out that airlines will assist in any way at all with the cost, then some people will choose to train this way, but the rest can continue under currently available training methods.

From an adequacy of training or safety point of view, many people have valid concerns and reasons to get up in arms over MPL. Discussing these points is quite useful and needful, but let's drop the Europe vs. other parts of the world hyperbole as MPL is neither an alien invasion of JAR nor overseas protectionism.