PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan to the Sky, The End? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2006, 22:28
flipflopman RB199

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amdrewmcharlton,

I echo Whitworth's sentiments, and also take my hat off to you.

May I respectfully ask however, what is it you are hoping to find in a detailed financial breakdown? Would you be able, in any way, to relate to or identify any of the figures on the paper, or any of the companies or services listed?

I think not. Rather I feel you wish to stumble upon an entry listed

"Bank of Switzerland, account no 123456, Deposit £1,000,000"

Where exactly would all of this lead you, and what could you possibly wish to gain? Do you not feel that the HLF will have gone over every single penny going in, and coming out, and ensured all was legit and above board, before commiting themselves to awarding a grant? Unfortunately, it was widely hoped that a sponsor would be on board now, to allow access to the next stage of the HLF grant. The grant was awarded on a 65/35% basis, with the VOC needing to raise set amounts, to release the next batch of funding. Without a sponsor now, obviously this puts the onus on fundraising to raise the cash.

As Tim Mc Lelland has stated from his conversations with Dr Pleming, the £250,000 is the figure that needs concentrating on at this moment in time, as this will allow us to show to the public, and any potential sponsors, just what has been achieved, and how very close to aircraft is to it's completion. A vast amount of work has been carried out on the aircraft, and although there is still more to do, the major work has been done, and the completion is within sight. With a very real aircraft sat there, and not a stripped hulk on jacks, there is a very real possibility an investor may see potential, and something worthwhile to put money into. This may not be the case at all, but I know that personally I would be far more inclined to believe in and sponsor an aircraft I can see is pretty much complete and potentially airworthy, than one stripped and currently undergoing major maintenance, as I would imagine you would too.
Clearly, flight testing will require more money, but with backing and investors on board, this will obviously become much less of an issue. The major hurdle facing us now and threatening this magnificent aircraft, is raising in whichever way possible, the £250,000 so desperately needed.

Let's not bicker and snipe at this stage, the project can still very much be saved, and future generations can experience the sights and sounds of what is in my view, one of the greatest aircraft of all time. It would be a tragedy to waste millions of pounds, and thousands of manhours on a project that is so close to the finish line.