PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who's going to do basic SAR rear crew trg?
Old 10th Aug 2006, 09:09
SARBallast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAR rearcrew training

Whilst people are obvioulsy worried about the standards in what is a high risk and stress environment, I think there ARE ways of solving the problem. Take the latest example for example, BOND with Jigsaw, they took paramedics and indeed people off the street and trained them to be winchmen. Whats wrong with that? They were given a full course and then time in role. It's the same for the pilots, copilot gains experience in role then later does a year of training in the right hand seat (Bristows).

The best way to learn is from those with experience, and that is done in role day in day out. And whilst we still have ex Mil drivers and W'Ops why not gain as much from their experience as possible, both for the Winchmen and Copilots.

I understand people have reservations about a new way of doing something, but the people actually doing the training have a vested interest in doing it properly. End of the day those trainers and trainees might be out on a dark and dingy night, and will need the full crew working properly. Yes the companies (Except Bond maybe with the BP budget to support) will want to do it as cheaply as is feasable, otherwise they would loose money.

My last thought is whilst we may not have a perfect solution, I think all three (Bond, CHC, Bristow) are working out the kinks to improve what they have. Should they not be given a chance to sort it?