PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomsonfly FTE Scheme
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2006, 20:20
FL370 Officeboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just asking, as I have never borrowed any money in my life, but I had to significantly reduce my social life to finance my PPL alone (and working a second job at the weekend), which is a very very small amount compared to a full integrated course, so I have no idea of how I could manage clubbing in Jerez, or Oxford or one of those...
Or maybe I was just unlucky not to have a money tree in my garden ?
No I did not have a money tree in my garden believe it or not. In fact, shock horror I have yet to meet anyone who financed Jerez any way other than through BY/GAPAN sponsorship or a loan THEY took out. Any stereotype of "Daddy" bankrolling everyone through the integrated course is basically a fraud/lie/mistruth/whopper/load of bull. I got a loan out the same as 90% of the other people in Jerez and am currently paying that loan off by myself as everyone else has to.
However, if your question was a serious one instead of another attempt at someone painting the poor working class hero picture - then, in answer... I didn't just take out the amount for the training alone as that would be silly. I included a reasonable mount for what I would expect to spend whilst out there. I also worked damn hard for the months approaching the course to build up a buffer of money to last me the time I was there. For what it's worth I was so broke when I did my PPL I actually had to camp by the airfield as I couldn't afford any real accommodation so I've been there done that.
I hope my initial reply was of some use to someone who was genuinely interested in the lifestyle instead of looking to post a lame attempt at being witty......
I'm off out to the pub