PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inventive Invoicing.
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2006, 23:42
baraka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inventive Invoicing.

True story.
I run a small training school in the South-West. About 6 weeks ago a recently qualified PPL pitched up on a Sunday morning to fly, it was perhaps his 3rd flight since licence issue. It was obvious that he was looking for some kind of guidance( we all know what its like to have just left the safe haven of the training environment), so we discussed a few options. He expressed an interest in flying and landing at a local airfield not more than 20 mins away. No problem say i, but because the a/c is needed again in 2 hours he should consider doing it another day because time would be tight after weather, planning, notams, phone calls etc....
But he was a man on a mission and asked if there was any way he could fly there but not land. I said of course, fly to the o/head speak to them, turn around and come back to base. But he wanted something a bit more challenging, so, while calling the airfield before departing he asked if he may do an overhead join, make an approach to go around and then return to base. The response was in the affirmative, " absolutely no problem at all, just call on the RT".
The end result was a very happy pilot returning from what was for him a challenging flight, perfectly planned and executed.
Last week i received an invoice from the above airfield for a "circuit charge" plus an administration fee. The total of which came to more than if the chap had landed and taken off again. I have not passed on this charge to the pilot.
The airfield is uncontrolled, has no IAP's,no navaids, and is in uncontrolled airspace.
I am flabbergasted....

Interested to here anyone's comments.....discuss.