PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF to get the F-22 and/or F-18E/F?
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2006, 22:12
Magoodotcom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dragon79
Magoo & Gnadenburg

Can't fault either of your logic, the issue I have with the JSF is at the moment it is un-proven, a given considering its still in development.

Do you think the cock ups with the F18 upgrade combined with the push to retire the F111, require an interim solution?

Given the cost of the JSF does this not justify an interim platform until the JSF proves itself, hence the F18E/F or F15.
Cockups with the F/A-18 upgrade? Can you please site sources OTHER than the Sydney Morning Herald???

The HUG has gone swimmingly up to now, with the only potential glitch being Phase 2.3 which is currently under review. If ALR-2002B is canned, then we have ALR-67(v)2 as a fallback option which should not significantly impact the program's schedule.

Phases 1, 2.1 and 3.1 were delivered on time and under budget, and 2.2 is already ahead of schedule just three months into the rollout phase. 2.4 is also going well (don't believe the pod report in the SMH last week) and will deliver ahead of schedule and ahead of budget. Phase 3.2 is the biggest risk, but the Canuckdians have already done 13 centre-barrels and these have all gone well, and the US is cranking up to 40 jets a year from next year.

I believe the interim aircraft window has closed, and the next jet we get needs to be around for the next 20+ years. Whether that is F-35, F/A-18F, F-15T or whatever I don't know. I personally believe a split fleet of Super Hornets and F-35s is the way to go.

Cheers

Magoo