PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Atc problems flight training
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2006, 07:42
mstram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigskycanada
I am lerning to fly at the moment in Manitoba and I have been experienceing some problems with ATC that I am wanting to lern more about.My flight training is very expensive but will help me get a good position when I return to my home.I have on some occasions been denyied clearance by terminal Atc when I had prepared and breifed for a certain flight yet I know other pilots have been allowed to.I pay good money for hours in the airplane and I file my flight plan as is required.I know Atcs may be busy is there a good time I should be trying for.A group of us went up to the centre to visit terminal Atc and they told us they were hapy to have us there.
I can only guess why you're clearance would be denied.

Best would be to talk to the ATC manager there and your instructor.

Which airport / ATC is it?

I'm in Toronto, and a lot of IFR training get's coordinated between CYYZ (Toronto)/ CYKF(Waterloo) / CYHM (Hamilton). CYYZ has specific notes in the CFS about how far in advance they need to be notified for training. In addition if the clearance was for practice approaches, it might have been that the tower was just too busy to accomodate you at that time.

This is something you and your instructor should really discuss, and map out a "game plan" for a lesson with maybe approaches / holds / enroute all possibly planned and with the flexibility of being able to switch to a hold or a different approach depending on ATC availability.

That might be a bit tough I guess if you're planning on an ILS but it's not available and you haven't briefed any other approaches. You're going to have to learn to fly all the different type of approaches eventually anyway, so I would suggest you book some classroom time with your instructor, and over one or more lessons, go over all the available approaches for that airport, so that you're prepared (to at least practice anyway) any of them.

When you start flying IFR for "real", obviously you might get in a weather situation where the runways / approaches are being changed and you're going to need to know how to fly any of them.

Mike