PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some advice on my RT please
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2006, 07:41
splatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the pointer on the Airspeak CD. Found one on eBay and got outbid yesterday. Will probably just buy from a 'pilot shop' as the final price on auction was quite close to what you'd pay at a shop anyway.

Phillpot, I have said something similar too. In response to notification of helicopter traffic nearby. I responded "Roger that Helicopter". Innocent enough, first clue was my instructor laughing in the RHS!

With regard to VATSIM, I tried it sometime back. I found that only big airports had any controllers. To fit in I started flying the Learjet and was promptly told to come back when I had learned to fly. Presumably, by some spotty teenager who was acting controller at the time. It's mostly kids on there in my experience. Their RT not quite the same quality and breadth as real life controllers.

My best buy so far for my RT has been a cheap little airband radio. Tuning into the local frequencies has taught me that some folks who already hold licenses are worse than me. I can pick out at least one pilot almost straight away due to his bumbling RT and insistence on talking just as he would do over a telephone ie. absolutely no RT phraseology. He hasn't been told off yet so I must be at least tolerable in comparison!

splatt