PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Add for B737 crew in Sunday Times
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2006, 07:48
Q4NVS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snoop

Maybe this will shed some light on the subject - This is an extract of an interview on World at Six (6th July 2006), between Bruce Whitfield and Gareth Griffins (SAA's acting Chief Financial Officer).

Bruce Whitfield:
It is great news for consumers certainly. Comair has got 23 aircraft altogether including the Comair and the Kulula fleet. How big is your fleet going to be in this particular space?

Gareth Griffins:
In terms of the SAA fleet in total, we have got 70 aircraft currently of which four will be moved across to the low-cost carrier, completely arm's length. We will take it from there and see how it evolves. We anticipate taking it up to 10 aircraft in a short space of time, just in the low-cost airline.

Previously, I had a rumour that SAA is looking at a figure of approximately 7 Crews per aircraft, the idea being that they will fly maximum hours per month with the aircraft spending the minimum time on the ground (but that was hear-say...)

With 4 aircraft initially, that is already 28 Crews (i.e. 56 Pilots). When this becomes 10 aircraft as quoted, the numbers do grow significantly.

My question still is, what about the "current" drivers..?