PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GIBRALTAR
Thread: GIBRALTAR
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2006, 11:40
nivsy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gibraltar

While there is always a possibility of better flight connections from non UK operators from the rock it should never be forgotten that the airfield is owned by the MoD and shall be open in accordance with the MoD Requirements. While a little flexability may be allowed for profit making commercial operators I just hope that they will appreciate the MoD's position and that they will not whinge when they cannot operate within the schedule requirements that they believe they need to make better aircraft utilisation and naturally higher pax yields. On another note because of the road crossing the active runways - security for any night stoppers will have to be considered.

Also while it is a bit of a problem -significantly at the border if the Spanish are having shall we say an "off day" - the drive to the building site of Malaga Airport is no worse than what many have along the M4 corridor. I can do it within 1 hour 20 mins - quicker than the time expected one needs to stand in the Q for Easy Jet checkin at AGP on a hot summers day/night!

On another note, despite their previous bout of advertising when they proudly proclaimed in newspapers "you wanted it -so you get it" - I refer to BA flying from LHR to GIB - they have dropped the service from October and will continue to use LGW. Thanxs BA for the loyalty on this one which certainly did have good pax loads. Guess the temptation of ops out of East Midlands, Derby International or whatever its called these days and Lulsgate has perhaps removed our service?

A brighter note is that negotiations are continuing with Fly Gib or Gib Fly - who are pressing hard for new start up operations from the rock. Stansted, Bristol and Birmingham, Dublin and or Cork have been citied as destinations. 2 or 3 B737's are expected. If sucessful - and i for one hope it is - will probably mark the pull out in totality of BA and Monarch.

Nivsy.