PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dual Citizenship....and dying for your country??
Old 30th Jul 2006, 09:44
Swingwing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if it would be so difficult, as long as I agree with the french position.
(my bolding).
Don't you see, Sztoggy? You've just made my point perfectly.
You have just made your support for the nation and air force you serve conditional on your agreement with their political position! As a military man you do not have that right or choice. You are obliged to carry out the orders you are given (excepting of course the case of unlawful orders to violate Geneva conventions etc). That is what being in the military is about. If you want to make the political decisions about the position France will adopt, run for office as a politician. Do not do it from the cockpit of a French aircraft.

I can understand why you might feel the way you do - you can't just put aside all feelings for the land of your birth or heritage, and to expect you to do so is simply unrealistic. But my exact point was that holding dual citizenship simply makes these kinds of dilemmas worse. What about if the French and Lebanese positions were to differ, or your French commanders gave you orders which you couldn't support from a Lebanese viewpoint? What would you do then?

In my humble opinion, citizenship is about making a choice. Not just a choice as to where you live or which government pays your pension when you retire. It's a choice as to who you would support when your life and liberty are the issues at stake.

Perhaps my perspective is simplistic - my family's been in Australia since the beginning, so I've never had to make these sorts of choices. But I would really question how you could take the oath of citizenship to one country if you still felt that you had to divide your allegiance between that nation and another.

SW