PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aus Expats in Dubai
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2006, 06:21
jack schidt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi
1. Are things really as bad as everybody says or is it just a chance for people to vent their spleens anonymously?
My Ans: A lot of people do vent their anger here as it is the only way out here to do it. There are no unions, so take the terms and conditions or leave is the attitude of the company. The law here is also a law unto itself, it can be seen as rather strict in ways (and biased to the locals), but in other ways the police seem to do nothing (ie prevent treacherous driving on the main highway). Generally education good, weather from Oct to May good, health good, money OK. There are about 1500 pilots now with a small minority leaving. You would expect some to leave, requirements to go home either family or had enough of the M East. Also a new type experience here allows better jobs elsewhere and again peoplpe move on.
2. I can read from the EK website their terms and conditions but how do you find living in Dubai with young children and a family?
My Ans: As an F/O with a family you will not save much and you will look at about 5+ yrs now to get a command as a good guess. There is a reasonable amount of things to do here now with a family and its up to you what you get out of it by how much you embrace it and get on with living the expat life.
3. Does your wife/ partner find it easy while you're away? Is there a reasonable support network amongst wives etc. or is it every man for himself?
My Ans: Most of the wives have friends within EK or from the kids school or other links. The wives tend to get on well in Dubai, it is of course all down to how much your wife puts in, as to how much she gets from the people around her. You have got to also be careful though not to live ontop of each other at times. You tend to find that without extended family here, friendships are a little stronger than they would be at home. Remember there are a lot of nationalities here, so it will seem a bit like a home from home seeing so many fellow nationals around you.
4. Are there really large numbers of crew leaving or is it "refer to question 1"?
My Ans: As in 1. This place (LIKE ALL PLACES) has its problems and like all places people move on. In my knowledge a company of this size looses no more pilots than any other similar sized company.
I'm looking for personal experience and not so much, "I've got a mate who knows someone who heard....". Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all for your time.
Been here a while now, got to see Dubai build and become more exciting for the expat with more things to do. Bond is 3 years, but if you have often thought it would be a good move then give it a go or you will spend the next 30 or so wondering if you should have done it. Getting widebody experience can only do you a favour to help your career also, as you say that your current options are becoming less. Yes there are many search options here, but as you know sometimes the truth is not always what is written and there are some angry people around here at times.
Good luck with your decision. It is a big choice to make and all I can say it that for the MAJORITY of pilots at EK it was a reasonably good move. If 1500 guys didn't like it then these forums would be swamped I'm sure.