PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dual Citizenship....and dying for your country??
Old 29th Jul 2006, 20:45
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find myself firmly on the side of those who are uneasy about dual citizenship, but I fear it is far too hot a potato for either of the main political parties to grasp - unless (very highly unlikely, verging on the impossible) it was done in a bi-partisan manner, with both parties supporting it.

Doors open, your argument re Commonwealth servicemen serving in the RAF and other British services in WW2 might appear to be a valid one in the current debate to someone with no knowledge of history, but in fact it is spurious. Until 1949, anyone born in Australia was an "Australian citizen and British subject". Even if Australia was no longer officially a colony of "the Old Country" in the 1940's, the attitude of many if not most Australians (and New Zealanders, Rhodesians and the citizens of many other ex-colonies of Britain) was still firmly rooted in "the Old Country", (or "Home" as my Grandparents and all my Great Aunts and Uncles referred to a country they had never once visited)

Last edited by Wiley; 29th Jul 2006 at 21:30.