PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Pay Comparison
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2006, 14:31
heywatchthis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just my two cents worth.. I am an Aussie living in the USA.

The cost of living here in the USA is a major factor. Depending on which airline you work for here, most of the bases are in the major hubs, Philadelphia, Newark, JFK, Long Beach, Baltimore etc.. Cost of living in these cities is very high. I currently live in Philadelphia and pay $1300USD a month for a one bedroom hole in the wall apt!! Your everyday living expenses are higher so it is not a reasonable assumption to compare pay scales in AUSD. The salaries just like Australia are becoming less and less..
You forgot to mention the regional airlines here.. The average first year pay for a EMB145 or CRJ first officer is around $19,000USD a year! thats right! Some turboprop operators pay even less! Now try and survive in a major city on that! Just not possible! The second year is a little better at around $27,000USD. They are having such a hard time finding pilots that the minimums are around 600-1000 Total time, and 100-150 Multi Engine. (Not even enough to fly a metro back home!) 99% of these people are instructors, 172 to a jungle jet not a bad transition!

As for vacation.. I am looking forward to returning to Aus, as I would rather earn a little less and have more holiday! In the USA they live to work, not work to live. My first year I got no vacation, and after one year of service I recieved 2 weeks. However every trip is a holiday haha

I am lucky as I fly corporate. The corporate industry here is really taking off and is the only sector of the industry that offers stability. More and more pilots are seeking a career in Jet charter rather than the airlines.

Anyways just some food for thought!
Just ask me, I'll tell ya!!