PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to search for a job?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2006, 09:27
Desert Budgie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look beyond your own borders

You are at a much greater advantage if you are able to look beyond the borders of your own country, from my experiance anyway. People who I trained with from all over have found jobs in Africa, Asia, South America sometimes even just as a safety pilot on single pilot ops and moving onto a Caravan or King Air, building invaluble turbine time. Those shiny 737s and Turboprops are often a lot closer once you pass that 1000Hr mark.

The problem many people have are liabilities in their home country, I hate to say it, but a house, family etc who cannot afford the main breadwinner moving abroad to make a pittence. If you don't have any liabilities, try and set aside a budget and possibly go on an extended vacation, knock on doors in the back of beyond and you might get lucky. Even if its just bags of rice in the back of a 172, your still flying. Then keep on applying to the airlines back home.

For many smaller operators in the UK your efforts may be fruitless as insurance requires you hold a minimum amount of hours before you can fly with them. Quite often Around 5-700TT 300ME, give or take. Flying abroad is an excellent way of matching these requirements then get back to Europe so your on the doorstep to the big fellas.

DB