PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CCC, CRM and MCC for helicopter
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2006, 09:08
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is invariable that CFIT accidents have always been preceeded by considerable unease or discomfort from one or all members of the crew. Pilot A seem blissfully unaware of this.

Pilot B voiced his concerns appropriately but could have escallated them, and then did well by concentrating on getting out of the poo by prioritising his communications to elements that would save them. But it is very hard without actually being there and knowing the personalities and the culture of the organisation or flight (was the owner holding a job over the newbie??), etc to be able to ascertain if Pilot B was forcefull enough. Easy for me to say he should yell, scream, take over and save himself earlier, but I wasn't there. Still, on alot of CFIT tapes it is suprising how polite a crewmember can be, even when he is fearing for his very life. It is almost as if the loss of face for the captain is more important than the consequence the crewmember fears!

Pilot B needs to learn the the trump card: "Land now, I am getting out. You can see if it gets better ahead by yourself"

Pilot A can then become a statistic all by himself.