PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Cross Over or obtain a Commission as a Pilot
Old 26th Jul 2006, 08:25
TheBeeKeeper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was a 24 yo airmen when I went for selection, offered Engineer and took it! For the first two years of my commissioned life, I tried on four seperate occasions to be reconsidered for a cross-over.

I won a flying scholarship (Philip Sassoon Flying Award), and it was on this visit to Cranwell that I was offered the commission. I acheived very high scores on the Pilot/Nav aptitude tests, but the numbers of pilots - engineers required just weren't in my favour!

Unfortunately, my age was against me too, and the reply from Cranwell was usually along the lines of.... 'Why would we give a 26 yo Engineer a shot at pilot when we have plenty of 18 yo from college, or UAS studes that we have already spent a great deal of time and money paying for!'

The upshot? Well, I was lucky and got a free PPL. And in hind sight, I really don't think I would have been cut out for it (despite the scores!), flying an aeroplane is one thing and should become second nature, operating it is a different matter. Although being NCA, you will know that already!

What is driving you to become a pilot? Commission and associated pension? (Would you be required to cut over to AFPS05?) Future civilian career? Or is it simply to fly?

Plenty of fun flying can be had outside the RAF, try throwing a Pitts or Extra round the sky.

And remember, your military or civilian flying career is only as good as your next medical! My girlfriends father flew Shackletons for a number of years but left the RAF as an angry Flt Lt before his pension point... something about writing to the AOC and asking him to change his air force or he'd leave.... he started flying for the airlines then found out a few years later that he was diabetic. Ouch!

Good luck tomorrow, if you want pilot, then go for it. You hear stories of people putting pilot for all three choices (or was it 6 choices?!?), may have worked in the past, not sure now though!

TBK