PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Re: Base to Final Turn
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2006, 21:14
Fournicator

Shaft:
We tend to fly climbing upwind turns in things with more power, you do have to level off in the turn but it's no major drama.
As for the Grob 109 needing a curved final approach - it's hardly got a massive long nose to hide the runway, Spitfire stylee, so not sure I agree with you on that one. The straight approach from 300ft is as much of a help for the fast jet driver to sort everything out as it is for the 16 year old with limited experience on the Grob.

Pitts:
Mil tend to fly numbers, the advantage of flying higher performance aircraft is that they are less affected by the vagaries of the atmosphere and are more likely to work. From starting the finals turn at 1000ft, you pick a point on the ground in line with the runway and about a mile back, and do whatever you have to do in the turn to overfly that point, on speed, on height and wings level - flying from one known position to another. Some might argue that it's a bit of a robotic technique, compared to your techniques, but it bloody works!
Again, not for a moment decrying your techniques, have done such things plenty enough myself on my PPL, and you're right it is amazingly satiisfying as you realise it's all going to come together nicely!

Dublin:
Spot on mate, numbers one and three are indeed correct. You'd better watch out though, or RAF Central Flying School will be pinching your drawings for their publications! Hope you and me can continue to keep the hatchet well and truly buried!