PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair and 757 'vortex'
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2006, 13:56
GuruCube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hooplaa
In my example why did the FK100 ahead in the queue take only one minute separation behind his departing B757 and yet the B738 not?
I see even better.... I often get ATR72s and Dash8s going straight behind 757s. Yes, to be fair I always ask them as I can see the obvious effects there, but 90% of the time they say yes, even when asked 'Are you happy to depart immediately behind a 757?'!!! (And the Dashes Im thinking of quite often go from intermediate holds too!).
Anywho... regardless of who is the bravest etc. etc. the issue here is that the crews dont tell us in enough time. Certainly when lining up it is unacceptable. I even find it unacceptable when foreign pilots say '757 is a Heavy' to me - Why aren't they knowledgeable on the AIP for this country? What other risks might they experience if they havent read it? (Yes Gonzo, its the real world sadly ).
In fact, for the benefit of the crews reading this... many of us get frustrated when, like point5, we are trying to get maximum runway occupancy and the only double gap we have arranged is that one (And we cant send the 757 second in order). Its even worse if there are a load of inbounds and we have given Approach 3nm packs thinking the 2 deps would be gone (Although its only the crews who suffer for it, I still hate the idea of missed gaps and inbalanced delays!).
Whats my point? Well, just to have a look at the hold and if there are any 757s just advise the AIR controller ahead of time. Our gaps are planned ahead (mostly ) and the sooner we know, the better.
For the record, when Im planning, I try to only ever put a 757 first if there is no choice or if its just part of a larger order...