PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair loses legal bid to identify website critics
Old 24th Jul 2006, 20:07
The Sandman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PAXboy - I have to disagree. If there is one thing that can be taken for granted, it is most certainly that MOL - if not all of his selected minions - is a shrewd and clever character. Maybe only recently has the penny begun to drop that certain management practices are not, shall we say, the most productive in the long term - and the short term is ending. I think that what will happen depends largely on MOL's own future desires. If he wishes to pursue an alternative path on the way to (yet more) riches - or simply a more relaxed lifestyle, and the accolytes are left in charge, I think that yes, you may be right. Due to their own rigorous selection and training, they probably lack the collective ability and initiative to change horses sucessfully - even if the obvious need for a change in tactics were perceived. My fear is that they would likely, suddenly faced with unaccustomed decision-making authority and responsibility, feel slightly out of depth and simply apply the old same ole same ole with more force - just to make up for the instability of the new ground.
If, however, FR's helm still holds professional interest for MOL, he might just find an incredible challenge in reinventing a more productive - and potentially long-lived, management (and corporate) culture. A man's real measure is not simply in seeing that change is needed, but in ensuring that said change occurs. Having single-mindedly created the most successful aviation story in at least 30 years, the real challenge now, is to convert that force-fed and fiery birth, infancy and adolescence, into a more mature personality that can survive the type of geographic expansion that now lies at the doorstep. One strong-willed and forceful personality can horsewhip a small organization into the type of rapid expansion which FR has enjoyed, but a different style is now needed if this vibrant youngster is not to burn out just when the borders of Europe are eached.
If married life hasn't yet dulled his edge, I think it wholely possible that Michael might be the only person capable of accomplishing the type of gear change required for FRs longer term potential. The question is: Is MOL still up for this possibly more demanding challenge?