PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flap extension before clear signal from ground crew?
Old 24th Jul 2006, 15:11
Check Airman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Old Smokey
There's 101 good reasons to leave the Flaps alone until 'All Clear' by the ground crew, well alluded to in the previous responses.

Our SOP requires that after "All Clear", that Flaps be set immediately prior to taxy, the intention being to avoid forgetting them during a long taxy. What does concern me, and was the first thought in my mind upon reading the opening post, is that Cold Weather ops require leaving the wing clean until just prior to takeoff, to avoid possible ice accretion in the various flap assemblies during taxy.

With "Flaps" now being a part of the 'After Start' checklist on our (B777) ECL, it concerns me that the potential exists, with winter coming, to miss them on the 'Before Takeoff' checklist if the item has been overriden on the 'After Start' checklist. Yup, I know that the checklist should be held until all open items are completed, but one more hole in the Swiss cheese..........

Regards,

Old Smokey
I was under the impression the 777 had 2 levels of protection against that:

1. Closed loop items on the electronic checklist are colour coded so it's easy o spot an incomplete item.

2. TO config warning when advancing power.

Am I mistaken?