PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flap extension before clear signal from ground crew?
Old 24th Jul 2006, 04:17
captain_jeeves

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainProp
Yea, thats the problem! Even if I agree, I can´t do my own little thing and wait with my flow just because I feel like it, it would be very difficult to operate a two man crew if each and everyone had their own little SOP´s...
How can you say that this is "my own little thing"? I say again, my SOP very clearly states, that the after-start flow begins when the captain selects the APU bleed off.

If the Captain decides that it is prudent and safe to delay that action, then that would seem like the safest choice. And, this is not a departure from the SOP.

TomConard is - again - correct. Too many inexperienced crews believe that "Fast = better and more competent". People with that belief are sadly mistaken.

At anytime in a aircraft - especially on the ground awaiting an "all clear signal" - doing anything in a hurry, is simply demonstrating your lack of experience. You're only kidding yourself if you believe that everyone around you won't notice.

That said, Mr @ Spotty M , you are also correct. During the push-back, the guy on the ground is in control. And, if HE said, "...Captain, extend the flaps...", "...Set the brakes..." or any other reasonable request, that request would be honoured.

Finally, I couldn't agree more than with bafanguy... "It's all really very simple. Prime Directive: do no harm!"