PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Watch the speed!
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2006, 04:14
shortstripper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAS
So, if I get this right, it's safer to do a steep turn close to the ground, than do a shallow turn?.......
I didn't exactly advocate steep turns close to the ground did I? If you read my post again, I was pointing out that a well banked but properly co-ordinated turn onto finals is safer than being afraid to bank and subconciously ruddering around the turn. A slow skidding turn is the perfect recipe for a spin as you know. I say co-ordinated, but actually that's not quite true ... a well banked slipping turn onto finals is actually quite safe.

ProfChrisReed
Because in a glider you have enough elevator authority to stall the glider in a shallow turn, but usually not (except perhaps in a few rare types) in a 45+ degree banked turn. Thus, even if suckered (by ground proximity, other aircraft, events on the runway etc.) into pulling back on the stick, you won't stall, drop a wing and spin in.
That's a new one on me? but for once I think you're wrong. Are you confusing the fact that in a slip most gliders will naturally straighten up if you get too slow due to lack of rudder authority?

Pulse1

I was alluding to what you saw when I mentioned a gliders larger wingspan and said that gliders suffer all the same issues and more. It is rare though, but I seem to remember reading in one of Derek Piggots books that it happened to him. His answer was to keep the involuntry turn going as the phenonomen is instantly cured once you've turned downwind ... but then how many of us have his experience to think that cool in such circumstances???