PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Watch the speed!
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2006, 23:29
Say again s l o w l y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry chaps, but I think I must have a different grasp of aerodynamics.

So, if I get this right, it's safer to do a steep turn close to the ground, than do a shallow turn?.......

Any a/c has enough elevator authority to stall itself, especially at increasing angles of bank. How can they not? These aren't tiny little controls with short lever arms we're talking about.
The load factor will also increase with an increasing angle of bank and so therefore will the stall speed decrasing your margin for error.

Making a steep turn onto final approach is as daft an idea as I've heard for a while, especially in a discussion about low houred and inexperienced pilots.

Another one of my bug bears (I'm sure many have nothiced that I have a few!!) is people who teach making small heading changes by using rudder, especially on approach, or even worse on climb out.......
All turns should be co-ordinated and that means using the rudder to counteract the adverse aileron yaw, NOT as a method of changing direction. At low speeds and low altitudes it is even more important than normal to keep yaw to a minimum, lest you learn first hand that Stall + Yaw = Spin.